Tuesday, December 4, 2018

A December Ocean Swim in Ojika, Nagasaki



In summertime, Ojika island is a paradise of beaches available for swimming with gorgeous views, but swimming is not a very popular activity in winter for obvious reasons. However, yesterday I headed off to the beach and took a dip in amongst the waves regardless.

Despite the fact that the temperature is about to drop below 9 degrees in the next few days, we were given a randomly warm day out of nowhere. In the early morning air when I headed out on my daily walk, I had noticed that I almost felt like I didn't even need a jacket. So, after the work at the Shimayado Goen Inn was completed and our lunch was eaten, we headed off to the coast. In the time between eating lunch and heading off, the sunny sky had turned a bit dark, despite the air still feeling quite warm and spring-like.

Sven (another visitor from Germany) and I took a walk over two bridges to a section of rocky coastline near Kuroshima, a small connected island which is included in the city of Ojika. I tried to avoid wearing my Birkenstock sandals into the ocean because they're not made out of optimal materials to wear in sea water, however after venturing outward I quickly realized that I found it incredibly difficult to walk along the rocks without stabbing my feet (only a problem if you decide to swim in a strange spot, like we did).

So, I walked awkwardly and stumbling, avoiding spikes and dangerous crustaceans who had made the rocks rough and sharp. Not yet used to the water's temperature, I avoided falling all the way in, allowing the water to inch higher and higher up my legs, until I finally made it to where the rocks disappeared beneath the surface.

I took my glasses off and held them above my head, then dunked myself under. As I emerged again, I absorbed the view,  and floated along by lifting my legs off the ground. My skin slowly got used to the water temperature and it definitely didn't feel like I was swimming in December!




We splashed around in the waves, the sky a vaguely grey shade of blue with a few darker clouds, and the wind blowing my hair into my eyes. I saw a few cars pass by on the road beside the coastline, and imagined the occupants chuckling and thinking we are insane for dipping in the ocean in December, and the thought made me smile.

In the shallows, we snapped a few photos. Sven was using a twenty-five year old film camera which added a bit of eager anticipation, since we now get to wait to see how the images turn out and have a hopefully have a few excellent shots that remind us of a fun memory.

Walking back to the share-house, wet hair, the wind chilly against damp skin, we felt that beautiful sense of awareness and awake-ness that is unique to the moments after you swim out in nature. I find that no matter how cold the water is, no matter how much I second-guess it beforehand, I never regret getting in.

Jumping out of my comfort zone always provides the most wonderful moments to look back on.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Magical Matsuri Experience on Ojika Island

If it wasn't enough of a beautiful adventure to emerge off a ferry at 4:30 AM, on a tiny Japanese island called Ojika (a member o...