Friday, November 15, 2019

Catching Fugu on Ojika Island

First Solo Fishing Attempt




Written by Lara - Instagram: @possumspossy

Taiyo San has been kind enough to teach me the basics of fishing and lend me a fishing rod while I have been on Ojika. The other day I decided to go out for myself for the first time. 


I set off with a goal - to catch one fish. Catch one fish I did! It was a puffer fish (fugu), known as a dangerous delicacy in Japan, when prepared by skilled and certified chefs. However, when it is prepared by amateurs, it is simply a poisonous fish. 



I chose to set my little fugu free... if only I could get it off the hook. As I had had Taiyo with me on every other fishing expedition, I had not realised how tricky it can be to get a slimy fish of a fishing hook. 


So after many failed attempts and stabbing myself twice, I decided to cut the line and ride with the fish in the bike basket. After some laughing and poking fun, Taiyo San took off the fish with very little effort and we set it free.



Moral of the story? I don't know, because I still can't take a fish off the hook...










No comments:

Post a Comment

A Magical Matsuri Experience on Ojika Island

If it wasn't enough of a beautiful adventure to emerge off a ferry at 4:30 AM, on a tiny Japanese island called Ojika (a member o...