Wednesday, October 17, 2018

A Meandering Walk Across Ojika Island


Most people would grab a じてんしゃ "jitensha," or bicycle, for an adventure around Ojika island. However, on my first day off from volunteering at the Goen Inn I decided to take off on foot since I absolutely love long meandering walks (even if they take a few hours). 


I decided to head off to the other side of the island, so I could see a wide variety of different places and see how the other side was different from where I was staying near the main street. On my walk I discovered that this island is full of large expanses of green, with rice fields, beautiful old cemeteries, shrines, Japanese style houses, adorable cows, and beaches with lovely views of the mountains.


Plus, if you're the introverted type...you probably won't see a single other traveler venturing on the same path as you (especially if you come in any other season other than summer) creating an eerily beautiful atmosphere. The only people you'll probably see are the children near the school, and locals tending to their land or riding by on a tractor. It's pure peace and quiet in an expanse of nature.

It's not often that I end up on an island, seemingly so far away from anything or anyone that is familiar to me surrounded by beautiful views. It really puts everything into perspective, seeing the locals going about their quiet lives while I imagine the hustle and bustle back in Tokyo, or even my hometown Petaluma, California. Ojika is simply a different kind of place that you don't often get to experience.

I made it all the way to the other side of the island, to a beach called Kakinohama. This beach was accessed down a long street surrounded by farms, and the views on the approach were nearly, if not just as gorgeous as the beach itself.


Then, following along the signs and greeting a few passing locals (こんにちは "konnichiwa!") I went down a path to the beach. There was a lovely gondola to sit in, which was very convenient for me because it started to lightly rain shortly after I arrived. It was quite peaceful to spend some time sitting undercover and looking out at the views and passing boats.



Next, I walked along a street lined with trees which was a straight shot back to where I started. I had chosen this path because it was the quickest way home but it happened to also be picturesque and rather magical. It featured a tunnel of trees and a stone tori gate, and the branches looming overhead gave the impression of having ducked into the home of some sort of island creature.

On this street, I passed the local schools, and was greeted by many young students returning back to their homes. One group of runners passed by and I recieved a group of seven こんにちは konnichiwas! I also heard a student inside the school practicing their trumpet playing, and it added a bit of ambiance to my walk down the hill as I heard his scales going up and down. I only saw one or two motorcycles pass me by while I walked along this tree-lined road, so I felt completely safe walking along the street.



As a returned back to the other side of the island it began to rain quite heavily. I had accepted my fate of total soakage, imagining myself back in my room dripping into a puddle, which would have been quite the funny story. However, one of my hosts, Hiroko, spotted me in her car and gave me a ride on her way back from picking up her grandson from kindergarden! So, I was safely dropped at my doorway, dry and rejuvenated from my 3 hour adventure.

That's one of the most wonderful aspects of this island - it's a small, close-knit community and a friendly face is never too far away if you get (even metaphorically) caught in the rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Magical Matsuri Experience on Ojika Island

If it wasn't enough of a beautiful adventure to emerge off a ferry at 4:30 AM, on a tiny Japanese island called Ojika (a member o...