Thursday, February 28, 2019

First Impressions

Five days ago I arrived on the ferry from Sasebo to Ojika Island, nervous to be starting my work away adventure. My friends and family were surprised when I announced my decision to spend spring break on a tiny, practically unknown, island off the coast of Nagasaki.


Perhaps this was a little risky. In an age of Google maps and Trip Advisor, Ojika is uniquely underpromoted, retaining its mystery. I found this particularly attractive after months of planning excursions by rigorously scanning the web for travel guides. Which is undoubtedly useful but can result in a predictable and well-trodden trip. This time I had to expect the unexpected. Fortunately, this time the gamble paid off. 


In five short days, I have already accustomed to the slower pace of life on the island, explored to my heart's content and been welcomed with open arms. Still having barely scratched the surface of Ojika, I have hiked along the red stone cliff tops, cycled through the countryside, sunbathed on deserted beaches and whiled away lazy afternoons with a cat or two snuggled into my lap. A perfect cocktail of excitement and relaxation. 



When walking to and from work at Shimayado Goen Inn, locals will always give me a smiling nod and a cheery "konichiwa", a world away from the more isolating and anonymous cities. People here exude a simple and genuine happiness, it's infectious.

- CE -




No comments:

Post a Comment

A Magical Matsuri Experience on Ojika Island

If it wasn't enough of a beautiful adventure to emerge off a ferry at 4:30 AM, on a tiny Japanese island called Ojika (a member o...