Friday, March 1, 2019

活版印刷 : Discover German printing in Ojika!



I had the chance to attend the Ojika Community Meeting that takes place four times a year. A lot of people joined, enjoying the good food, talking with friends, having a massage... But my favourite part was the OJIKAPPAN stand!

Ojikappan was created by Momoko Yokoyama (横山桃子) who came back to Ojika, her native island, to develop a typography and design business.
I invite you to have a look at their website that is so pretty: https://ojikappan.com

Typography (活版印刷) is the printing technology invented by Gutenberg in Germany 500 years ago. It is possible to assemble little letters made of lead to create words. We then press the letters against an ink surface to print the letters on paper.

We had the choice between making a small box or 5 postcards. I chose the postcards option and could choose the colour of the paper and decorate it with ink and stamps: hearts, triangles, squares... it was hard to make a choice as all stamps were so pretty!

Then I could choose among the lead letters: Roman alphabet letters, Hiragana, Kanji... all writing systems together! I chose to write Omedetou (おめでとう), and after assembling the letters together, I could press and see my postcard become reality!

If you are in Ojika, I definitely advise to go to OJIKAPPAN in order to discover this great technique and talk with Momoko Yokoyama who would be very happy to give you more explanation!

C.H.














No comments:

Post a Comment

A Magical Matsuri Experience on Ojika Island

If it wasn't enough of a beautiful adventure to emerge off a ferry at 4:30 AM, on a tiny Japanese island called Ojika (a member o...